Thursday, March 31, 2005

TERRI

What can I say? Terri is dead. Terri Schiavo, a woman I agonized over has died. I blogged on her fight for life a year and a half ago and then, when her life was saved, had second thoughts on if she wanted to live at all. Even with my misgivings, I always thought I was right to wish her to live, even if it was against her wishes.

Terri died because of a bad law. The Florida law said that the spouse had the final say in a case of a patient that cannot speak for themselves, even in the face of obvious conflicts of interest and parties willing to adopt responsibility for him (or her). It’s that law that killed her, along with a husband who didn’t seem to care.

Even at this time, I am torn. I weep that she has died. Literally, there are tears in my eyes as I type this. I also rejoice that she no longer suffers on this earth. Even if she lived as I believe she did, cognizant of the love she received from her parents and family, yet unable to express it and the utter frustration she had at her condition, wishing it were different or over. I am happy her suffering is over and hope she is in Heaven, free of pain and agony.

So, what now? We need to change the laws to side with life. If there is a question, we need err on the side of living. This includes not only end-of-live situations, but also, my pet project, BEGINNING-of-life situations. Terri died today, one life that I feel for. But, also today, 3,500 babies died in abortion clinics – leaving 3,501 people who died because of a party with conflicted interests. So, we need to leave today renewed in our fight for life, no matter if it is at the beginning or the end – all innocent life is precious.

God bless you, Terri – I pray for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home