Friday, January 09, 2004

WE ALL BOW TO JONAH

The big news this week, if you’re a thinking man, is President Bush’s immigration proposal. I didn’t have the time I wanted to put into this, so I kind of hung back and let the bomb go off.

Bombs is more like it.

My buddies at the National Review just about had a collective breakdown. The normal, den mother Katherine Lopez said she leaped out of her chair, Derb went off in classic Derb fashion and even the stolid Ramesh was less than pleased. People wrote into the regular corner contributors claiming this was the last straw and they would NEVER vote for George Bush now.

About what I expected.

Then my MAN Jonah stepped in.

He had a beautiful essay on the issue and introduced a voice of reason into the debate, not a small feat from a man who quotes The Simpson’s regularly. His basic take was this:

The illegal immigrants here are here to stay – there is no way, politically, socially, whatevery to kick them all out.

Accepting that, now what? Ignore them? Accept them? What?

Jonah also points out a salient fact about George Bush – President Bush has inherited a lot of problems. He has inherited terrorist threats, Medicare problems, immigration problems, etc. and for each of these, Bush has stepped up to the plate and offered a solution. We may not like all of the solutions (Medicare), loved some of them (terror) and just started on others, but he has never shirked them.

So, please check out Jonah – he has once again showed the world why he rules!!!! I have to admit, I agree with him and not just because he is the large editor, I mean editor-at-large for my favorite bi-weekly and blog in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home