Wednesday, December 24, 2003

TERRI SCHIAVO

I know it’s been a long time since I posted, but this past week has been absolutely crazy!!! That’s not to say I haven’t been keeping up with what’s going on (Saddam caught, Libya bowing to the superb statesmanship and diplomacy of Kofi Annan – I mean, scared poop-less that he’s next on the receiving end of all those coalition troops), etc. I will start to post on a more regular basis, but maybe not until after the New Year.

Anyway, I wanted to give you another Terry Schiavo update. As we know, Michael sued immediately after Gov. Bush signed “Terri’s law” and the forces of good have been handed some setbacks. Circuit Court Judge W. Douglas Baird denied Gov. Bush’s request for a jury trial to determine what Terri’s wishes would have been regarding life support. That means that Michael’s wishes will be Terri’s wishes if the law is found to be unconstitutional, which it probably will be.

What to think? Well, the last time we were here, I was voicing my doubts about how I felt about the whole case. My guess is the law will be struck down and Terri will be starved to death. The positive side of this case, and it is a big positive, is that Terri brought to the country’s attention matters of life and death, literally. We as a country are way to cavalier about the death of people we don’t know, namely abortion and Terri helped bring a consciousness to a lot of people who didn’t have it before. That is a very good thing.

Still, we need to keep Terri in our prayers, especially today. While we remember Terri as she comes to the end of her life, we should also remember 2003 years ago tonight when a family was ready to bring a new life into this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home