Wednesday, November 19, 2003

GAY MARRIAGE, AND I'M NOT TALKING THE "HAPPY" KIND, EITHER

I’ve been on vacation this week and I thought I’d get a lot of writing done at The Diner. That being said, Molly and I also have had an electrician in updating the power in our house and for reasons I don’t understand, I offered to help.

My body hurts.

I’m so out of shape, my butt hurts – both cheeks. Now that’s sad.

So, I’ve been doing a lot of sitting, discovering muscles I didn’t know I had and have not done any writing. But, with the Goodrich decision in Massachusetts yesterday, I got out of my chair and fired up the laptop.

On my very first day of blogging, I said gay marriage was coming and would be the news of the decade. I went back to that entry and re-read the wonderful essay by John O’Sullivan I mentioned. I believe he is correct when he says various churches will no longer require civil marriages for the religious ceremonies.

And I think that’s the way to go.

Look, to much government intervention in marriage has made gay marriage not only possible, but right. I say that because government has been micromanaging our lives more and more, and has hung all kinds of legal rights and prohibitions on what should be a religious matter. Spouses can make all kinds of decisions for their spouses (I’m talking to you, Michael Schiavo), they can legally bind their spouse to debts, they have the right of material succession at death, etc. Why should other couples, be they gay or whatever, not have these rights? So, once again, the nanny state has screwed everything up.

So, religious marriage will be separated from the State and perhaps will begin to mean something again, as strange as that sounds. Let the gays, the polygamists, etc. have their civil marriage. We will still keep our union in the eyes of God and that’s what’s really important anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home