Sunday, February 15, 2004

"ME JUST STUPID CONSERVATIVE, PART II"

Hey kids, sorry about the delay again. I would have sworn I posted on Friday, blah blah blah, the reality of the situation is I haven’t posted in a long time. Whatever, here we go….

Last time we were here, I spoke about Robert Brandon, chair of the Philosophy Department at Duke University saying Conservatives are stupid. Well, I guess the furniture of Duke got a lot of flack over this comment and decided that it needed to respond. So, we got a article from The Chronicle where we get quotes like this:

"In my response to The Chronicle reporter I gave a quote from John Stuart Mill that I thought was quite funny. I now see that the humor is not much appreciated in this context”

Oh, it was funny!!! I’m just a conservative, so I’m so dumb I didn’t get the humor in the “Conservatives are stupid” comment. I guess I just proved your point, professor.

“Finally, let me go over what I did and did not say. The DCU seems to believe that the difference in the politics of the faculty vs. the population as a whole is due to hiring bias. The claim is that we liberals only want to hire other liberals. The process for hiring faculty in our university is largely decentralized. The hiring units in universities are departments, not the administration. I did not presume to speak for other departments, but I did categorically deny that there was any such bias in the hiring practices of Duke's philosophy department. None of us would want such a bias to be there, and in virtually all cases there is no mechanism for it to be there. “

So, what you are saying is that a preponderance of one type of person (like white males) in a situation ISN’T proof of bias. If that’s what you are saying, then you need to talk to a lot of your liberal friends, because they are quite sure that anything like that is in fact PROOF of bias. I bring to your attention racial profiling, the “glass ceiling”, the number of blacks (I mean African-American) or women in charge of Fortune 500 companies, etc. Oh, you mean you weren’t talking about that? Go figure.

If we rule out the hiring bias hypothesis, what's left? The phenomenon could be due to the political indoctrination of new hires. But given the independent nature of most academics this is not at all credible. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the only viable hypothesis left is something like the following: There is a statistical association between the qualities that make for good academics and those that lead to left-leaning political views. Said another way, a larger proportion of academics are likely to be liberal, but certainly not all, and this may also vary by field and subfield because of the nature of knowledge, learning and the advancement of knowledge in that field.”

Two huge problems here, the second being that Brandon called conservatives stupid again. “There is a statistical association between the qualities that make for good academics and those that lead to left-leaning political views.” Oh, only GOOD academics are “left-leaning”, I forgot.

You jerk.

And on the first point, you said,” we rule out the hiring bias hypothesis, what's left?” Maybe we shouldn’t rule out hiring bias. That is just an attempt to take the most likely reason of the table because you don't want to have to deal with it.. It’s like saying, “Now, concerning Jane Kerry, ruling out he hates the military…” or “Bill Clinton, ignoring he stuck a cigar in the nether world, he isn’t really a pervert.”

This is why we hate the liberal press.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We see that President Bush called to the racers at the Daytona 500, “Gentlemen… Start your engines!!” At the same time, the RNC was at the race signing up fans to vote and while they’re at it, vote Republican.

Look for the Dimocr…uh, Democrats, to make hay at this. “Hey, those rednecks are so dumb, they’ll vote for Bush!!”

I say GOOD FOR THE RNC!!!! These racers and the fans are real Americans and therefore, more Republican than most people on the East coast. NASCAR is not something the Dems understand or could ever understand, so the average fan is destined to be a Republican. The average NASCAR racer and fan believe in family, country and God – not necessarily in that order. They do NOT believe in, “I’m OK, your OK, there’s no right and wrong, no black and white, there is no God, etc…” which, of course, the Democrats DO believe in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home