Friday, March 31, 2006

JILL AND WHAT'S HIS NAME

It was great news yesterday to hear Jill Carroll was released by the thugs who kidnapped her in early January. Far too often, when an American is kidnapped, man or woman, they are released with a few bullets in their head.

All of the articles I have read express her joy at being free and over and over again how she wasn’t harmed. The AP dispatch mentioned it three times:

"It's important people know that I was not harmed," she said.

"I was kept in a very good, small safe place, a safe room, nice furniture," she said, adding that she was given clothing and plenty of food. "I was allowed to take showers, go to the bathroom when I wanted," she said. They "never hit me, never even threatened to hit me.”

“Carroll emphasized that she had not been harmed. "It's important people know that - that I was not harmed."

The Washington Post had this:

“Her captors had treated her well, she said, and she never dared turn down their offers of meals or candy for fear of giving offense.”

This is from Time:

"I was treated very well," Carroll said in an immediate interview for the party's Baghdad television station. "They never hit me; they never even threatened to hit me. I'm just happy to be free, and I want to be with my family."

I want to give Time some well deserved praise for also mentioning what nobody else seems to, the name Allan Enwiyah. Allan is usually referred to as “her interpreter” and if you’re not paying close attention you might miss that he was killed during the kidnapping. These animals who Jill makes sure we all know treated her very well shot Allan twice in the head and dumped his body. I certainly hope these major news outlets will bother to take the time to tell Allen’s story. I doubt it, but we can all read about him at the Christian Science Monitor site.

PS – Check out what Jilly told the Washington Post (last paragraph):

“Party leader Tariq al-Hashimi presented her with an embossed Koran in a plush box. The Koran was for the true followers of Islam, Hashimi said, and he mentioned the Iraqi people. Accepting it, Carroll said her suffering was nothing compared with theirs.”

I’m sure she meant under Saddam.

Yeah, right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home