Monday, August 21, 2006

SAY IT AIN'T SO

Dare I say it, dare I even think it? Should the unmentionable, unfathomable words leave my mouth? Can I even write it?

I agree with the New York Times editorial.

There, I did it. It’s done. Now I can take a deep breath; though I feel a little queasy.

Today’s paper lead editorial is titled Waiting for Jacques and here’s the lead paragraph:

“It would be tempting to laugh about France’s paltry commitment of 200 additional peacekeepers for Lebanon, if it weren’t so dangerous. After insisting for years that they be treated like a superpower, the French are behaving as if they have no responsibility for helping dig out of the Lebanon mess.”

The editorial goes on to point out the deficiencies of the cease fire agreement, without bashing the United States or President Bush too much, which is a lot to say for the Times:

“But the French military command has also raised some legitimate concerns about the peacekeeping force’s lack of a clear mission. Most notably the resolution (might we note again that the French helped write it?) sidesteps the question of who, if anyone, will disarm Hezbollah.”

“The unfortunate reality is that the best that may be hoped for in Lebanon is an eventual political marginalization for Hezbollah.”

The editorial is far from perfect, but for the Times, I’m impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home